Thursday, May 29, 2008

Why Webb Shouldn't (Or Wouldn't) be V.P.

In my pro-Virginia exuberance last week, I wrote here, that I thought Jim Webb would be great as a V.P. selection for Obama. Until today, I had yet to read a compelling reason for why I may be wrong. I found this interesting blog post on Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish and you can find the full text here. In any case, here are some samples from what I think is a well-put together, obviously knowledgable critique of the idea of Webb as V.P., though I might add, that I remain unconvinced that it wouldn't be wise for both Obama and Webb.

- Until 7pm November 4, 2008, Webb might well be a very strong addition to the ticket.
- On November 5, the troubles -- for Webb -- would begin.


Would his credentials on national security and as an undoubtedly tough southern Populist offset, among other problems, the perceived slight to older women among Hillary Clinton's base? It's like a vector problem in physics. My belief is that, purely as a matter of electoral math, Webb would help Obama much more than he would hurt. But I know that's a judgment call, with countless ramifications to argue out.

The problem is what would happen if he did help Obama win. Having first met Webb nearly thirty years ago -- and having co-written an Atlantic cover story with him, and having broken my rule against giving money to political candidates two years ago when he began his Senate run -- I can't imagine a job he would enjoy less than the vice presidency.

No comments: