Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Christian Pop Culture

This is an interesting critique of the sub-culture of "Christian" entertainment . . .

As my girlfriend dutifully pointed out to me, it seems that the author of this review/article is a little sloppy in her terminology when she begins by talking about "evangelicals" and then uses "Christians" the rest of the way throughout the article. . .

Also, she makes some weird conclusions about "Christians" and being surprised they are watching The Daily Show, which is odd because I don't think there is anything inherently un-"christian" or not "christian" friendly about the The Daily Show, except for the fact that this author suggests that Jon Stewart doesn't like "Christians." I'm willing to bet that Jon Stewart would take exception to that broad claim.

In any case, these are the things that are glaringly wrong or inaccurate about what this author says, but her review of the book is very interesting.

And why, you may ask, do I find it so interesting? Back in the day, I was quite the connoisseur of "christian" rap music-- so there, I was a bad ass for Jesus!

1 comment:

NatCraft said...

As a elitist prep school Catholic, I have to admit I never saw any of this morality in practice. I always thought this kind of thinking was for the Baptists and the non-denominational Christians! Every Catholic I know loves to drink & swear!