Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Prime Minister's Questions

Hitchens, in his latest article, talks about John McCain's recent suggestion that he would begin an American practice similar to Britain and Canada, by going to Congress and taking questions. This is the most brilliant proposal I have heard in American politics . . . ever!

I think it is interesting to view the Presidential race within the context of who would be a better President in "President's Questions"?

I think that the experienced, Senatorial McCain would have the tenor down pat. I don't think that he would allow himself to be bullied or pushed around by Congress, however, there might be some worry about him having a temper meltdown.

Obama I think would be forced to lose his, "cool cat" demeanor. I also think that he would be pressed in a more substantive way than he has ever been before on his lofty, idealist goals. I also happen to think he is more than able to do so quite adequately.

I think McCain and Obama would be a lot of fun to watch in a "President's Questions" format. I think they would both excel at it. Most importantly, I think it would be a great thing to institute in our country.

Thought of the day: Imagine George W. Bush in "President's Questions" and imagine how our foreign policy might be different if the President were forced to withstand scrutiny on the policies he implemented and decisions he made, and ask yourself whether you would have been better off with this system in place eight years ago?

No comments: