Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Edwards Plan

What is John Edwards' plan with supporting the nomination of Obama? Apparently, he suggested last week that he has always been for Obama (he said that he would endorse the candidate that he voted for) and it appears he was strong enough in his support of Obama to overcome his wife, the inimitable Elizabeth Edwards, who apparently is still a strong backer of Hillary.



What does this mean and what does it matter? I don't know, but I throw it out there as food for thought--What does Edwards want? What should Edwards get?



An interesting blurb from a Rutenberg piece in the NYTIMES:



As the campaign proceeds, aides to both men said, Mr. Edwards is sure to be included on a short-list of vice presidential prospects. Mr. Edwards has played down any aspirations for an administration role. In an interview in January, he said he would not accept a vice presidential spot or a Cabinet position. “No, absolutely not,” he said, shaking his head emphatically. But privately, he told aides that he would consider the role of vice president, and favored the position of attorney general.



I'd be interested to hear your take on what you think the appropriate role, if any, for John Edwards is?



I happen to think Edwards is a talented guy, but I'm not sure Obama owes him any position. I think that Edwards should come out and campaign and help Obama with blue collar voters because he owes it to the party. If he wanted something bigger, he could have come out and endorsed much earlier, a la Chris Dodd.



If I had to pick, I think he would make a nice, easily confirmable AG.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you know I think he would make a logical selection for AG, but, no, obama does not owe it to him.