Thursday, May 15, 2008

Why Hillary is Still In

In her words, here it is:

Dear Eric,

There are some people out there who want to declare this race over now, before all the ballots have been counted or even cast. There are some who say they don't know why I'm in this race. So let me tell you why I'm still running.

I'm in this race for everyone who needs a champion. For the hardworking families who are losing sleep over gas prices and grocery costs and mortgage payments and medical bills -- but who never lose that American can-do spirit and optimism.

I'm in this race for the more than 16 million people like you who have supported me -- for the people who have put their hearts into winning this race. You never gave up on me, and I'll never give up on you.

We are in the homestretch. After sixteen months, there are only three weeks left to compete in the final contests. With your help I'm going to keep fighting until every last American has a chance to be heard, and as we learned last night in West Virginia, I know we can win.

Contribute now to keep our campaign going strong.

I'm also in this race because I have the best chance of beating John McCain in November and putting America on the right track. We proved something in West Virginia last night -- a state every Democratic president has won since 1916. And we proved something in a few other battleground states that have a history of picking presidents. Pennsylvania. Ohio. Arkansas. New Hampshire. New Jersey. New Mexico. Nevada. And, yes, Michigan and Florida.

I am in this race, and so are you, because we both know the stakes in this election are too high to stay on the sidelines. So let's keep going together, you and me. Let's keep driving our campaign forward, and let's keep winning.

Make a contribution today to help me win.

I want to thank you again for the incredible generosity of spirit you have shown over the course of this campaign. Together, you and I are going to make history.

Thank you,
Hillary Rodham Clinton

What you will no doubt notice is missing, is any strategy to actually WIN rather than continue to disrupt the race. As each day passes, I'll be honest, I begrudge her less and less. She has pulled off some spectacular victories, she has created an astounding coalition of voters. While I still think it does more harm to the party to have her stay in the race, I can't really say that I would do anything different in her position.

I take issue with her claim that she is better suited to beat John McCain, but when I do the electoral math, I can sort of see her point. I also take issue with the whole "you need a champion" idea. She sounds like she is running for Congress with that.

So, for what it is worth--that's why she is staying in.

No comments: