Thursday, April 24, 2008

Why didn't SHE put HIM away?

Hillary Clinton has gone on and on about how she is just one hell of a fighter and if Obama is so great- why can't he put her away? Its an enticing argument; one I have found myself engaging in, against myself, in my own head, the last couple of days. An interesting article I just read, by Mike Lupica* asks the alternative question:

Through it all, Clinton continues to run on the idea that she is ready "day one" to be President, when she wasn't ready on day one for a rookie like Obama.
If she had been, she wouldn't be in the rabbit hole she's in now. She would have put Obama away the way the front-loaded, Super Tuesday system was designed for her to put everybody away early. She is supposed to be the one with the great sweeping plan for
America, and she didn't have one for Obama. Now she is where she is and so is her campaign.

This is an intersting point that I also saw made on Andrew Sullivan's blog yesterday. Obama was NEVER expected to be here at this point. The system was designed to be against him. Hillary raised so much money at the beginning of this race and thought that it would be a march to the coronation. "The best laid plans of mice and men . . . "


* I hate Mike Lupica. He is most well-known as a sports writer and is a frequent annoying guest on ESPN's Sunday morning gab-fest "The Sports Reporters." I hate him, hate him, hate him . . . and he annoys me tremendously, but kudos to him for making this excellent point.

No comments: