Monday, April 28, 2008

Scalia on 60 Minutes

I caught a good part of the Scalia interview on 60 Minutes last night and found it fascinating. You can read about it and see the video clips here.

My impression: The guy has a first-class intellect. He is funny, effusive and disarming in his interview. I love that it grates on people that he is so arrogant and so self-assured that he is right. At one point he tells Leslie Stahl-- "well that is my opinion, and it happens to be right." I enjoy this about him whereas I think a lot of my fellow liberals find it offensive. Perhaps my enjoyment comes from the fact that I don't think he is evil at all, I don't think he is disingenuous at all. I think he truly believes in his judicial philosophy, which leads to results that I find to be awful and reprehensible in some case. But to me, this does not make him evil or bad, this simply makes him wrong, and thats okay. Where I do have trouble with him, is when he tells people to just get over it, as though the Court's decisions have no impact on people's lives. This part of his character is disingenuous, but I don't think it reflects an evil intent, but merely a refusal to grapple with ALL of the consequences of the Court's decisions.

Read the article or watch the clips and let me know what you think.

No comments: