Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Dirty D Living Up to its Name

I love the city of Detroit with all of my heart! I went to law school there and even though I didn't move there until I was an adult, I grew up there in a sense. I have the fondest memories of Detroit and want nothing but the best for the city. Which leads me to my anger over what has gone on there recently. I supported Mayor Kilpatrick for re-election because I believed that, while he had his issues, he had the best interest of the city in mind, and I had seen the improvement to back up that belief.

Now however, it is clear that the Mayor is not looking out for the city, but is looking out for his own self-interest. I am all for standing up and fighting when you are wronged, but his failure to resign in the midst of the text message scandal and the perjury and obstruction of justice charges he faces, is a slap in the face to the city of Detroit. It has taken away from the functioning of the city, it is embarassing the city and causing more and more harm to its already irreparable reputation. Newspaper stories such as this are not the kind of press that the city needs. It is an embarassment, and the only way to immediately tamp down the embarassment, is for the Mayor to step aside and put an end to the public flogging of the city.

No comments: