Monday, January 10, 2011

The rush to blame the Right for Tucson...

I think dobber is correct in his stated desire to withhold judgment over the Tucson attack. However, most sources, particularly on my side of the aisle do not seem to share this sense of prudence. Consequently, I find myself in (at least minimal) agreement with some of the points raised by George Will in this article (certainly I do not agree with every point raised, but merely those I'm highlighting here):

The craving is for banishing randomness and the inexplicable from human experience. Time was, the gods were useful. What is thunder? The gods are angry. Polytheism was explanatory. People postulated causations.


And still do. Hence: The Tucson shooter was (pick your verb) provoked, triggered, unhinged by today's (pick your noun) rhetoric, vitriol, extremism, "climate of hate." . . .
A characteristic of many contemporary minds is susceptibility to the superstition that all behavior can be traced to some diagnosable frame of mind that is a product of promptings from the social environment. . . .
The whole article is worth a quick read. As I said, the portions I've quoted are the one's I agree with. There are several other points in the article that I strongly disagree with, as Will simply goes too far. But he hits on a point that I think is rather important: at this point, this is just a tragedy, attributable to nothing except a crazy man with a gun, detached from reality. Let's try and keep that in mind when processing this tragedy.

2 comments:

Burnsy said...

(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703667904576071913818696964.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop)

This article was linked for me on my FB posting and is worthwhile in that it gets the base point right. Much like Will it goes too far when it suggests that somehow the Right is the real victim here. The Right, with Palin as its face, gives at least as good as it gets, if not more.

Epting said...

The daily show had a good discussion about this as well last night.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-10-2011/arizona-shootings-reaction

It went something along the lines of this is a terrible tragedy, but there have always been and will always be crazy people to do terrible things, and let's not let the 24 hour news cycle do what it always does (after the fact) - oversimplify, frighten, and divide.