Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lieberman: Signing Off

I touched briefly on Joe Lieberman announcing that he will not seek another term in the US Senate. In my mind, it is very clear he chose retirement over losing a primary and/or general election. Many have expressed their opinions on Lieberman recently. It's funny how conservatives and liberals share his history. Here are two accounts I've read recently. First is David Brooks:

If Lieberman had not been welcomed back by the Democrats, there might not have been a 60th vote for health care reform, and it would have failed.

There certainly would have been no victory for “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal without Lieberman’s tireless work and hawkish credentials. The Kerry-Lieberman climate bill came closer to passage than any other energy bill. Lieberman also provided crucial support or a swing vote for the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, the stimulus bill, the banking bill, the unemployment extension and several other measures.

So while Lieberman is loathed by many liberal activists, he has always had much better relations with Democratic practitioners. Vice President Biden sent me a heartfelt e-mail on Thursday that ended: “The Senate will not be the same without Joe’s leadership and powerful intellect. But it is his civility that will be missed the most.”

And here is Emily Bazelon:

My corner of Connecticut was covered in ice today, until news broke of Sen. Joe Lieberman's impending retirement. Magically, a warm glow spread. It was a delicious feeling: the end of the reign of the politician I despise most.

Why do I loathe, loathe, loathe my 68-year-old four-term senator? My feelings are all the stronger for being fairly irrational. Lieberman's views are closer to mine than many politicians on whom I don't expend one iota of emotional energy. This, of course, is his power: He never loses his power to disappoint. Then there is the spectacle of it all: After each act of grand or petty betrayal, each time he turned on his former supporters, the Democratic Party and the Obama administration came back begging for more. Throughout the last Congress, he never let anyone forget he was the 60th vote.

Bazelon then lists a litany of reasons why she despises Lieberman. I think Lieberman irreparably tarnished his image in my opinion during the health care debate. In an effort to soothe his ego and remind everyone how important he was, Lieberman kept threatening filibuster unless he got his way, while moving the goalposts every time Harry Reid caved to his demands. Instead of holding the Senate hostage because the bill wasn't exactly what he said he wanted (after the concessions of course), Lieberman should have voted for cloture but against the bill. Democracy rules. So I say, "Good riddance, Mr. Lieberman."

2 comments:

Burnsy said...

Hey. Your first quote is wrongly attributed to George Will. I'm pretty sure that's David Brooks from Friday. When I saw George Will's name, I thought, I don't remember him writing about Lieberman, but as I read your quote, I thought, I definitely remember reading this. Then, it occurred to me that I'm pretty sure it was from David's column. Now that I'm typing this comment, however, I'm realizing that perhaps I should have clicked on your link to test it, or maybe check to make sure I was correct before I submitted this. But hubris has never been a hold back to me and I'm pretty sure I'm right anyway.

Unknown said...

fixed