Monday, December 31, 2007

Lets pick a president!

As we prepare to turn into the official election year of 2008, I have a few observations:

  • I'm beginning to think that the consiglieri was right, and I was wrong about the impact of the assasination of Bhutto on the election. I thought that it may make a big difference in Clinton's support, though it has not appeared to translate into better numbers. (I will take back my public concession to the consiglieri if Clinton wins Iowa!)
  • My multi-talented formerly unemployed j.d. co-worker/friend makes an interesting point when she remarks about the ridiculousness of Clinton's "closing argument", which boils down to one word--"EXPERIENCE". I am of the opinion that this is merely a ploy for people to forget that they are voting for her and not her husband. Which of course is condescending, cynical and ridiculous. Are we really supposed to give her the "time-served" credit for her husband's years in public office? Oh, and of course we're only supposed to give her the credit for the good things and none of the blame for the bad things of the governorship and presidency--thats a convenient argument but ultimately absurd. She should just run on her 8 years as a Senator, which have been by all accounts, more impressive than her chief rival Barack Obama. I love Bill Clinton, but I'm beginning to believe that insecurity runs in the marriage.
  • Mike Huckabee's performance on Meet the Press on Sunday was again an impressive display of what an impressive candidate he has become. I think the strongest argument for his candidacy is that he is not some idiot, evangelical--that he can hang with the "big boys". This should not surprise anyone though and it shouldn't be a ground to support his bid--anyone who listened to the remarks of Hillary and Bill about his performance in Arkansas politics, knew that the guy had some considerable skills (even though I'm quite certain they never expected him to take off quite like this).
  • The only rational grounds for supporting Huckabee is that it pisses off Ann Coulter .

My actual predictions for Iowa:

Republicans: Mitt Romney (gag me)

Democrats: Hillary Clinton (less-than-gag me)

Incidentally, those are also my predictions for who will win the nomination.

ADVISORY: THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE A REVERSE-KARMIC EXCERCISE

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think its telling that you have yet to remark on Obama's performance on Meet the Press (unless of course he ended up cancelling).

Burnsy said...

There was nothing either impressive or unimpressive about his performance- nothing noteworthy. The only exception possibly being that he clarified what his wife said about him not running again- he made it clear he is running to win but would not rule out running again.

I'm torn on this because I want him to run again if he doesn't get it but I don't want him to say he will (or lie and say he won't) because then I think people will be more likely to say- oh he is young, we will vote for him next time...which is a typical Democratic attitude (and an unfortunate one at that).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

So nothing noteworthy? Not one of his stellar performances?

This was our lunchtime reading last week, but provides support for your experience argument

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/us/politics/26clinton.html?_r=1&oref=login

Multi-talented but unemployed, J.D. said...

I wish the primaries were over so that we could start really seeing what the issues are and where the two candidates that count stand.

Is it bad that I heard Huckabee on the news today and I thought to myself, he doesn't sound half bad?!

And fyi... just because JCraft stood by me throughout law school and was my "closest confidant" at that time doesn't make him an experienced lawyer.

VIS a VIS said...

Karma- it's too scary to go unnoticed.

Come to the dark side...we paint ourselves blue and dance naked on the equinoxes while worshiping Mother Nature and her sister, Karma.