Sunday, December 19, 2010

On the Virtues of Partisanship

I think this article by George Will ties in quite nicely with the below discussions relating to healthcare. There is a value in partisanship. However, I think the effort of the "No Labels" movement is also well-intended and not nearly as ridiculous as Will tries to paint it. I think it is perhaps a mislabeled (pun intended) attempt to get at the heart of the animosity that often animates partisanship.

I think the healthcare debate demonstrates the potential of healthy partisanship. It also, unfortunately, demonstrates the potential of the unhealthy partisanship that is real and that the "No Labels" movement attempts to address. Both Epting and Dobber make me believe more in the Will argument--that when it comes to the constitutionality of healthcare, there is no clearly correct or clearly incorrect answer. The Cuccinelli side of the argument, and the smug presumption of constitutionality (regardless of desirability) on the Left, give me pause and make me wish for something successful to come of a "No Labels" type of movement, despite its obvious naivete.

No comments: