Monday, February 4, 2008

My brief note on the "Oprah Factor"

Following the two well-thought out discussions on the phenomenon that is Oprah (please see below), here is my partisan response.

I have never seen a full Oprah episode, I honestly could not care much less about Oprah other than to say that in this case, my interests (Obama) align with Oprah's. I agree that if she were truly concerned, she could do much more to register voters or at least educate them. However, I do have to add that seeing her standing on-stage supporting Obama along with Michelle, Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver gives me a great big smile. It increases my belief in the idea that voters are not (or at least should not be) inspired to vote monolithically. (The same can also be said for when I see Congressman Charlie Rangel speaking out in support of Hillary.)

Furthermore, I think Kermit over-generalizes her point. Sure, SOME people don't know why they are voting for Obama or why Oprah supports him but there is no data to suggest this. There is nothing that supports any claim that an overwhelming majority of people she causes to go to the polls will either a) vote for him or b) not know why they are voting for him. Such a point is mere supposition (even if it is ultimately correct).

My question is how is this any different than any other interest group, or union, or parents, or spouses saying (through various mediums) you better get out to the polls and vote and this is who you ought to vote for? This country is FILLED with unwitting voters. . . and does that ultimately bother me? Sure, but for now, that is the way that it is, so if Oprah can get those people to polls and they vote for my guy. . . then yeah, I'm okay with that- its life. And besides, its not like there aren't plenty of uninformed Clinton voters as well.

No comments: