Monday, February 4, 2008

Must-Read Article

It has been too long of a time since I have written my own blog entry and this will not really be the comeback entry. Instead its to point you in an important direction. First, please be sure to read my friend's post below about the role of women and famous women (Oprah in particular) in the primary election process.

Finally, I feel it is my duty to link you to the most powerful essay I have read in a very long time. It is written by my favorite contemporary writer and makes me feel entirely inadequate and yet also entirely proud. I am not blindly proud "to be an American" in any nationalistic sense, but proud that in this ever-changing world my generation is showing that we too have the ability to stand up for what we believe in. We may be skeptical and distrusting of blind nationalism or claims of righteousness, or of having all of the answers, but we are making a difference, we are dealing with the old world challenges of international warfare and taking on the new challenges of international building and it gives me great pride and it gives me great hope for, and in, our future.

1 comment:

VIS a VIS said...

This essay is phenomenal and the sense that the underlying story has already changed lives, makes it seem all the more likely that it will continue to change lives with each reading. I dare anyone to walk away unaffected. It's message is universal in the deepest sense. Be true to yourself, be true to others, make educated decisions, and live a life that makes you, and those who've known you, proud.

And because of the context of the essay, it also imparts a message of humility, a self-recognition of imperfection, and the notion that what you do, say, and write does have an effect on others.

While it appears to be a patriotic, War in Iraq story, it is felt and understood regardless of political stance. In a strange incongruity, while I don't support the War in Iraq, I do support our soldiers that are there. And, Daily's story is poignantly inspirational, in any context.