Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Disturbing Olympiad

Okay, it is a little bit frightening that there was an explosion killing 16 people in China the week that the Olympics are to start. However, it is even more frightening that the Chinese response has been to lockdown and detain journalists who were in the area of the explosion.

Please, again, someone remind me why China gets to host the Olympics?

I understand the importance of the global economy and free trade, but surely, while our country, at least, is apparently spreading a democratic message across the globe and rooting out tyranny, does it make sense to send our athletes to compete in a country that has not yet awoken to the toll of the bells of human rights? It is tacit acceptance of China's atrocious human rights violations when we go and we further empower their already dominating economy.

Why are we filled with such cowardice?

Of course, I know the answer to that. We need China. We need their growing "consumer class," their industrial capacity, oh, and, um . . . they own a grossly enormous portion of our national debt. So, there is that too . . .

I understand it all to a certain extent. But our response is as pitiful as it is predictable, and it is a shame to see us again fall short of our ideals. But I am not an idealist really, and so I've become accustomed to the reality of our being in bed with this repressive Chinese regime that we so depend on in our international economics and politics. I bitch about it here because it is what I do. I always bitch about China. I was bitching about China back in high school when I consistently wrote letters to President Clinton and Michigan Senators Levin and Abraham, imploring them to deny China "most favored nation" trade status. But alas, we see how well that has worked out. And no matter all of the pragmatic and practical reasons for our continued support of China (notice I say support and not engagement--I support pragmatic engagement with China), it still bothers me to see us turn a blind eye to their domestic oppression and repression and their support for the genocidal regime in Khartoum. In fact, it makes me sick . . .

Speaking of sick . . .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

And when did young Eric Burns realize that the President doesn't read every letter he receives from some geeky kid in Michigan?

NatCraft said...

Aside from the fact that they've been willing to accept the dignity of each human life, I also get a kick out of the hideous air quality and algae problems that have plagued Beijing.

Maybe I'm just bitter that the Olympics are not in DC/Baltimore like they should have been. I remember when I was at UMD, we were putting in our bid for the '08 Olympics and College Park was going to be the epicenter. This would have meant a great influx of commerce to our area and likely weeks off of work which is what I really care about.

Unknown said...

Actually, the olympics should have been in NYC. At any rate, I couldn't care less about the olympics, so I'm just waiting for them to be over so we can get on with our lives.

You think maybe we will stop competing in the olympics if I mail a letter to George Bush imploring him to end our participation?

VIS a VIS said...

"I was bitching about China back in high school when I consistently wrote letters to President Clinton and Michigan Senators Levin and Abraham, imploring them to deny China "most favored nation" trade status."

REALLY? I was too busy worrying about things like cheerleading and whether the piece of junk car I bought junior year would make it to school in the morning... I can't imagine being that aware in high school...How stressful for the young and aware!

I'm not really against allowing China to host the Olympics but they were not ready for the Olympics this year. Perhaps the IOC should base its decision on the status of the country at the time the decision is made and not assume the the country will be ready by the Opening Ceremony.

Based on the reports of air and water quality as well as room for the athletes and spectators, I should think China would be a smidge embarrassed. Maybe the resulting backlash will force them to move forward as a country.