Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bring on the Crazy

Again, I'm sorry we've been sucking at blogging lately. There's been a lot going on, and we've been whiffing. I did receive a request from our good friend Natty to blog on Rick Santorum, the crazy former senator from Pennsylvania. Batting leadoff and playing right field for the Crazies, Santorum had this to say on abortion: "The reason Social Security is in such big trouble is we don't have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America aren't in America because of abortion, because one in three pregnancies end in abortion."

I'm not even sure where to begin. First, I guess Santorum believes that children only exist to sustain the elderly? Second, I'm pretty sure his numbers are wrong, that sounds like a lot of abortions. And we all know that of all the services Planned Parenthood performs, 90% or so are abortions. I'm sorry, that was not intended to be a factual statement. The real number is 3%. Finally, Social Security isn't in "big trouble." It's fully funded through 2037. And if we really wanted to ensure its solvency beyond then, we could raise the arbitrary cap on a person's income that a person pays Social Security taxes on. It's currently $106,800. We should raise that number and exempt a portion of the first dollars you earn, similar to income tax. Furthermore, we shouldn't have passed a Social Security payroll tax holiday, which brought the rate from 6.2% to 4.2% for a year. I'm afraid we won't ever get that 2% back. Those are two measures that would ensure Social Security's solvency well past 2037.

Or I guess I could just let Jon Stewart do what he does best:


2 comments:

NatCraft said...

Thank you. Sometimes I feel like I am in a world of crazy.

Teri said...

I love Jon Stewart.